Catalonia Headlines for April 2018
Still Trying to Form a Government
After three months of failures, the main news issue in April 2018 in Catalonia is still centred on how to invest a President of the Generalitat and form a government as election winner Carles Puigdemont now under arrest in Germany and seems an impossible option.
I may add other newspapers as the project progresses but the page reflects many of my personal perceptions of what happened because, out of circumstance rather than choice, I read La Vanguardia every day as it is the newspaper available in the bar in Barcelona where I have breakfast.
- Sunday April 1st: ERC calls "to sit down and talk" with Rajoy ERC calls "to sit down and talk" with Rajoy. Pere Aragonès, new ERC strongman, argues for "a change in the pro-independence strategy" because he doesn't think a new investiture attempt of Puigdemont is viable.
- Monday April 2nd: Mas discounts Puigdemont for "political intelligence" Mas discounts Puigdemont and calls for "political intelligence". The ex-president advises not to repeat his investiture and the challenge to the judiciary as ERC calls for a candidate from JxCat to have a government by Sant Jordi.
- Tuesday April 3rd: 1-O leadership have little chance of leaving jail The 1-O leadership have little chance of leaving jail before the trial as the Supreme Court thinks the leaders of the process don't show signs of rectification and Turull denounces the State's conflict of interest in an article.
- Wednesday April 4th: The German Prosecutor asks for Puigdemont's extradition The German Prosecutor asks for Puigdemont's extradition and makes the criteria their own and also sees rebellion as the Schleswig-Holstein Tribunal will decide if he stay in prison.
- Thursday April 5th: Cifuentes stands her ground in Madrid Cifuentes stands her ground and aggravates the political crisis in Madrid and says her MA is legal and doesn't plan to resign as PSOE announces a motion of no-confidence but C's prefer a commission.
- Friday April 6th: Germany frees Puigdemont Germany frees Puigdemont and rejects the crime of rebellion. The German justice system fixes bail in 75,000 Euros and only sees a possible sentence for misappropriation and the court in Schleswig-Holstein discounts the existence of violence attributed by the Supreme Court.
- Saturday April 7th: Puigdemont asks Rajoy to sit down and talk Puigdemont asks Rajoy to sit down and talk. The ex-president feels reinforced and calls for freedom for those in jail and the Supreme Court and the Public Prosecutor want to take the German sentence before the EU justice system.
- Sunday April 8th: Supreme Court avoids judging 1-O with unequal accusations The Supreme Court avoids judging 1-O with unequal accusations, discounts processing only the prisoners without Puigdemont for rebellion and considers prolonging the process in Germany and holding the case hearing first.
- Monday April 9th: German court questions Piugdemont's misappropriation German court questions Piugdemont's misappropriation and considers that it's unclear whether the ex-president ordered the payments as the judges also ask for proof that the State was damaged for the expenses.
- Wednesday April 11th: Judge accuses CDR members of terrorism The judge accuses members of the CDR of terrorism and the Audiencia Nacional orders arrests for the traffic cuts at Easter as an activist for encouraging the blockage of Mercabarna is arrested.
- Thursday April 12th: Government offensive to counteract Puigdemont Government offensive to counteract Puigdemont as Prosecutors from Spain and Germany will deal with their disagreement in the Hague today and the Foreign Ministry intensifies contacts with ambassadors and journalists.
- Friday April 13th: Fourth attempt to invest a President fails The fourth attempt to invest a President fails as Judge Llarena stops Sànchez from going to the plenary session, which has been called off and JxCat stops another attempt which Puigdemont will decide on.
- Saturday April 14th: PP challenges Cs and keeps Cifuentes PP challenges Cs and keeps Cifuentes as the President stops the fall of the Madrid leader that Ciudadanos thought was certain and pressurises Rivera to decide whether he supports PSOE's no confidence vote.
- Sunday April 15th: Trump warns Syria with a limited attack Trump warns Syria with a limited surgical attack as USA, United Kingdom and France launched against the Syrian regime's military objective as a reprisal for using chemical weapons and Russia condemns the attack, which didn't have victims, but discounts a response to avoid an escalation of tension.
- Monday April 16th: Massive protest to demand freedom for prisoners Multitudinous protest to demand freedom for the prisoners and brings together independentists, union leaders and comuns as Puigdemont confirms that he wants to avoid elections without saying how.
- Tuesday April 17th: Puigdemont considers distance investiture again Puigdemont considers his investiture at a distance again as the law of the Presidency that will allow it is already being processed and JxCat argues in favour of attempting to vote even if it's anulled by the Constitutional Court.
- Wednesday April 18th: Tough criticism by TC of German court Tough criticism of German court for denying rebellion by the Supreme Court, which asks what the accusation would be if it had happened in a land and the ex-consellers question justice in their declaration to Llarena.
- Thursday April 19th: Rajoy will open funding without Catalonia Rajoy will open funding without waiting for Catalonia and the Council of Finance Policy will meet in May even if there's no government as Moncloa's commitment comes after Susana Diaz's visit.
- Friday April 20th: Tension grows between Supreme Court & Govt over 1-O Tension grows between Supreme Court and Government over 1-O as the judge reveals the secret of a Guardia Civil report that replies to Montoro and Rivera demands the appearance of the Treasury Minister.
- Saturday April 21st: Valls considers being Cs candidate for Barcelona Valls considers being Cs candidate for Barcelona and Rivera thinks that the ex-Prime Minister of France is a "winning option" but he politician of Catalan origin also attended PP and PSC events.
- Sunday April 22nd: German court asks for data on Puigdemont's 1-O role The German court ask for data on the role of Puigdemont on 1-O as the judges of Schleswig-Holstein want clarifications from the Supreme Court before decing on the ex-president's extradition. The claim also refers to the presence of the Mossos, the Police and the Guardia Civil and to videos of the day.
- Monday April 23rd: Sant Jordi puts on its party clothes Sant Jordi puts on its party clothes and there is enthusiasm from authors and publishers for the good forecast for the day of the book.
- Tuesday April 24th: Sant Jordi overcomes the despondency Sant Jordi overcomes the despondency as Maria Dueñas are the best-selling authors in Castilian and Catalan as the festival "decentralises" in Barcelona and occupies new spaces.
- Wednesday April 25th: JxCat and ERC guarantee investiture without CUP JxCat and ERC guarantee an investiture without the CUP as the Parliament Bureau accepts the delegated vote of the ex-conseller Comín and Rajoy announces measures to stop Puigdemont becoming President.
- Thursday April 26th: Cifuentes finally falls leaving the PP despondent Cifuentes finally falls and leaves the PP plunged in despondency and resigns after the leak of a video of her shoplifting in 2011. The opposition sees "friendly fire" behind it and Cs back another candidate.
- Friday April 27th: Sentence against "La Manada" causes wave of indignation The sentence against "La Manada" causes a wave of indignation as the five are accused sentenced to 9 years for sexual abuse, not for rape and one of the judges defends the absolution because he appreciates "enjoyment" in the victim.
- Saturday April 28th: Anger over "La Manada" obliges Govt to react Anger over "La Manada" obliges the Government to react and it announces that it will consider updating the law on sex crimes after more than a million signatures demand the suspension of the judges.
- Sunday April 29th: 5 Treasury reports fail to detect misappropriation Five Treasury reports fail to detect misappropriation after the Ministry sent the judge the data from the Intervention of the Generalitat on public money for 1-O and Montoro carried out more than twenty injunctions on the Catalan Government over suspicious expenditure.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!