Catalonia News Headlines for April 2020
Coronavirus Only Coronavirus
Spain began it's lockdown on March 14th and it has already been extended to April 11th. There are rumours that it will be extended once again until April 27th so this month will be about Coronovirus, Coronavirus and more Coronavirus.
- Wednesday April 1st: More Govt help for companies & self-employed The Government broadens the help and delays the quotas to companies and the self-employed as the real scope of the moratorium on Social Security payments depends on the publication of new rules.
- Thursday April 2nd: Spain 2nd country with most recoveries from Covid-19 Spain is the second country in the world with most recoveries from Covid-19 as these are 22,647, 22% of the diagnosed, while the death index is over 11%, in Catalonia in 4%.
- Friday April 3rd: Virus destroys 900,000 jobs in two black weeks The virus destroys 900,000 jobs in two black weeks as two out of three jobs destroyed are temporary. apart from the million affected by the ERTE.
- Saturday April 4th: Sánchez needs support to extend state of alarms Sánchez needs political support to extend the state of alarm and foresees communicating today whether or not to maintain the confinement for two weeks and in what conditions and the reduction in contagions somewhat relieves the ICUs.
- Sunday April 5th: #Thankyou Thank you to all the health workers for risking their lives to save other. Thank you to those who look after the production, distribution and sale of food and basic goods. Thank you to the security forces, to cleaners, to chemists, to carers, to journalists, to delivery workers and to newsagents.
- Monday April 6th: Sánchez seeks support to isolate infected in hotels Sánchez seeks autonomic support to isolate the infected in hotels as the chief of the Executive foresees tests for those with slight symptoms to put them in confinement outside their homes if these aren't ideal.
- Tuesday April 7th: New infections fall from 22% to 3% in three weeks The new infections fall from 22% to 3% in three weeks as he data confirms the slowing down of the pandemia, although the pressures on the ICUs persist.
- Wednesday April 8th: Confinement will extend with exceptions till mid-May The confinement will extend with exceptions until the middle of May and the Government will maintain the lockdown until it has a study about immunisation of the population based on tests of 64,200 on people.
- Thursday April 9th: Curve of deaths slows down before China or Italy The curve of deaths slows down before China or Italy and despite the odd rise in the last few days, the tendency shows that Spain is controlling the epidemia.
- Saturday April 11th: EU reaches agreement to unblock aid of 5 billion The EU reaches an agreement to unblock aid of 5 billion and access to the health rescue fund will be unconditional, just like Spain and Italy wanted, but this will not be the case for the rest of the expected credits.
- Sunday April 12th: Economic situation is worst since Civil War Luis de Guindos, vice president of the European Central Bank says "The economic situation is the worst since the Civil War" and the ECB will buy 120 billion in Spanish debt.
- Monday April 13th: Sánchez calls on PP and autonomies to face crisis Sánchez calls on the PP and the autonomies to face the crisis as the president foresees convoking a table for economic and social reconstruction this week and Torra leads the communities' criticism of the Government over the partial return to work.
- Wednesday April 15th: Economy down by 8% this year & jobless to 21% The economy may fall by more than 8% this year and unemployment rise to 21% as the IMF predicts a historic recession in all Europe and the rest of advanced countries as a consequence the stop in activity due to the coronavirus.
- Thursday April 16th: Almost total pass with mark from first two terms Almost total pass with the mark from the first two terms as pupils will only be failed in exceptional circumstances, what remains of the course will serve to raise the mark and their will revision in July.
- Friday April 17th: Half virus the deaths lived in old people's homes Half of the deaths due to the virus lived in old people's homes as, just like in Europe, in Spain Covid-19 devastates care homes; in Catalonia it has affected 600 of the thousand centres.
- Saturday April 18th: Govt admits to stop in economy until end of year The Government admits to the stop in the economy until the end of the year as the executive foresees that tourism, leisure, culture and airlines and Work wants an agreement with the social agents about the ERTE as an act of God.
- Tuesday April 21st: US oil loses all value in worst fall in history US oil loses all its value in the worst fall in history as the price of a barrel falls to -37 dollars and producers pay customers and the country's petrol industry has been reduced to half in a year and is close to ruin.
- Wednesday April 22nd: Govt rectifies & will let children go out from Sunday The Government rectifies and will let children go out from Sunday as the pressure from Unidas Podemos forces Health to change plan that children under 14 could go to the shops with their parents and the antibody tests find little immunity against Covid-19.
- Thursday April 23rd: Pressure on EU Commission to create a 1.5 trillion fund Pressure on the European Commission to create a 1.5 trillion fund as Sánchez, Macron, Merkel, Conte and Rutte had a conference to bring positions closer before the European Council andSpain is confident of softening up Germany, although the Netherlands remains intransigent.
- Friday April 24th: EU wants fund against crisis & disagrees over financing The EU agrees on a fund against the crisis and disagrees over its financing as European leaders are willing to increase the community budget to finance investment and the argument over whether the aid should be credits to be returned or transfer stops the agreement.
- Tuesday April 28th: Govt calls for responsibility to not stop de-escalation The Government calls for responsibility to not stop the de-escalation as Spain goes over 100,000 recoveries while we prepare to go out to the street to walk and run without committing the infractions of Sunday.
- Wednesday April 29th: Deescalation to be done in phases till end of June The deescalation will be done in phases until the end of June as the Government approves a different plan from other countries without specific dates and the relief from confinement will be by province except when authorised by Health.
- Thursday April 30th: Deescalation conditions worry the economic sectors The deescalation conditions worry the economic sectors as hoteliers, restauranteurs and cultural businesses, among others, see the opening of businesses with limited capacity as proposed by the Government as unviable.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!