The Aftermath of the Referendum on Catalan Independence
Welcome to the main page for my Catalonia Headlines Project. Here you will find the links to all the monthly news pages beginning in September 2017 and continuing to the present.
I have decided to use headlines from Catalan newspaper La Vanguardia to tell the story of what happened in each month.
I may add other newspapers as the project progresses but the page reflects many of my personal perceptions of what happened because, out of circumstance rather than choice, I read La Vanguardia every day as it is the newspaper available in the bar in Barcelona where I have breakfast.
Catalonia Headlines Month by Month
- March 2018: After two months of failures, the main news issue in March 2018 in Catalonia is centred on how to invest a President of the Generalitat and form a government as election winner Carles Puigdemont stays in exile in Brussels and loses political influence.
- February 2018: Following the suspended investiture plenary on January 30th, the main news issue in February 2018 in Catalonia is centred on how to invest Carles Puigdemont as President of the Generalitat without him getting arrested or the plenary declared unconstitutional.
- January 2018: The main news issue in January 2018 in Catalonia is centred on Constituting the Parliament and Investing the President following the elections to the Parliament of Catalonia in December 2017.
- December 2017: The main news issue in December 2017 in Catalonia was centred on the elections to the Parliament of Catalonia on December 21st.
- November 2017: November was dominated by the arrest and imprisonment without bail of 7 members of the deposed Catalan government with continual statements from President Puigdemont from his exile in Brussels. Much of this was in preparation for the election campaign, which will start in December.
- October 2017: The month began with the referendum on October 1st, which was dominated by the images of police brutality. It continued with attempts to obtain international support for a declaration of independence, which was finally made on October 27th and the Spanish government immediately invoked Article 155 of the Spanish Constitution.
- September 2017: The month was dominated by the lead-up to the referendum on Catalan independence with the Law of the Referendum being passed on September 6th and the Spanish clampdown reaching its height on September 20th, when 14 members of the Catalan administration were arrested.
If you think there's been an oversight or you can provide more more detail about a particular event, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Please complete the form below. You can also upload photos and images, by the way.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!