Catalan News Headlines Month by Month
Welcome to the main page for my Catalonia Headlines Project. Here you will find the links to all the monthly news pages beginning in September 2017 and continuing to the present.
I have decided to use headlines from Catalan newspaper La Vanguardia to tell the story of what happened in each month.
I may add other newspapers as the project progresses but the page reflects many of my personal perceptions of what happened because, out of circumstance rather than choice, I read La Vanguardia every day as it is the newspaper available in the bar in Barcelona where I have breakfast.
Catalonia Headlines Month by Month
- September 2019: The two main events in September are the Catalan Nation Day or La Diada on the 11th and the Barcelona's Main City Festival or La Mercè around the 24th. Both are under question for a variety of reasons.
- August 2019: I don't expect anything other than an act of God to happen in August. Everyone's on holiday and it's time for Mickey Mouse news.
- July 2019: With the Barcelona City Council confirmed as under Mayor Ada Colau for the next four years, the main political consideration is whether Pedro Sánchez, the PSOE leader, will be capable forming a Spanish government and not have to call new elections.
- June 2019: Spanish Municipal Elections were held on May 26th so the month of June will be spent with parties reaching agreements. ERC were the largest party in Barcelona with 10 out of 41 but it seems that this is enough for him to become mayor.
- May 2019: Spanish Municipal Elections have been called for May 26th so the month of May will be spent in campaign. This round of elections will be seen as a second leg following the General Election on April 28th.
- April 2019: Spanish General Elections have been called for April 28th so the month of April will be spent in campaign. The issue of Catalan independence is bound to figure highly as the Spanish parties dispute who is the most reliable defender of Spanish unity.
- March 2019: The trial of the nine Catalan politicians in prison for their involvement in organising the Independence Referendum in October 2017 will continue in March so tensions will remain high but I am still doubtful whether the Catalan political class will be able to take advantage.
- February 2019: The trial of the nine Catalan politicians in prison for their involvement in organising the Independence Referendum in October 2017 begins on February 12th so tensions will be high but I am doubtful whether the Catalan political class will be able to take advantage.
- January 2019: Realistic calls for Catalan independence have virtually disappeared and I predict that there will be a coming together of Catalonia and Spain for Christmas with special messages of friendship coming from leading Spanish figures such as President Pedro Sánchez and King Felipe VI.
- December 2018: Realistic calls for Catalan independence have virtually disappeared and I predict that there will be a coming together of Catalonia and Spain for Christmas with special messages of friendship coming from leading Spanish figures such as President Pedro Sánchez and King Felipe VI.
- November 2018: The anniversary month of October passed without event so the main news issues in November 2018 in Catalonia will be the slow process of putting the already sold-out Catalan Independence movement back to sleep for the forseeable future through the creation of empty organisations such as La Crida Nacional and El Consell per la República.
- October 2018: The anniversary of last year's referendum on October 1st and then the anniversary of the declaration of independence on October 27th are the main news issues in October 2018 in Catalonia and then I predict that the already sold-out Catalan Independence movement will go back to sleep for the forseeable future.
- September 2018: With La Diada on September 11th and the anniversary of the referendum on October 1st, the main news issue in September 2018 in Catalonia is going to be Catalan independence. I expect confrontation and clampdowns from the Spanish government.
- August 2018: Although not much will happen due to holidays, the main news issue in August 2018 in Catalonia is likely to revolve around gradually improving relations between the Catalan and Spanish governments with agreements expected in Autumn.
- July 2018: The transfer of pro-independence prisoners to Catalonia begins as Junqueras, Romeva and the Jordis are going to Lledoners; Forcadell and Bassa to Figueres and the other imprisoned ex-consellers are waiting for Judge Llarena.
- June 2018:As Catalonia finally has a new president in Quim Torra, the main news issue in June 2018 in Catalonia is the new government taking its first timid steps. It seems probable that President Torra will be forced to make compromises in order to guarantee the lifting of Article 155.
- May 2018: After four months of failures, the main news issue in May 2018 in Catalonia is still centred on how to invest a President of the Generalitat and form a government as time runs out soon and new elections will have to be called. This happened before in 2016 when Carles Puigdemont was invested instead of the presidential candidate, Artur Mas.
- April 2018: After three months of failures, the main news issue in April 2018 in Catalonia is still centred on how to invest a President of the Generalitat and form a government as election winner Carles Puigdemont now under arrest in Germany and seems an impossible option.
- March 2018: After two months of failures, the main news issue in March 2018 in Catalonia is centred on how to invest a President of the Generalitat and form a government as election winner Carles Puigdemont stays in exile in Brussels and loses political influence.
- February 2018: Following the suspended investiture plenary on January 30th, the main news issue in February 2018 in Catalonia is centred on how to invest Carles Puigdemont as President of the Generalitat without him getting arrested or the plenary declared unconstitutional.
- January 2018: The main news issue in January 2018 in Catalonia is centred on Constituting the Parliament and Investing the President following the elections to the Parliament of Catalonia in December 2017.
- December 2017: The main news issue in December 2017 in Catalonia was centred on the elections to the Parliament of Catalonia on December 21st.
- November 2017: November was dominated by the arrest and imprisonment without bail of 7 members of the deposed Catalan government with continual statements from President Puigdemont from his exile in Brussels. Much of this was in preparation for the election campaign, which will start in December.
- October 2017: The month began with the referendum on October 1st, which was dominated by the images of police brutality. It continued with attempts to obtain international support for a declaration of independence, which was finally made on October 27th and the Spanish government immediately invoked Article 155 of the Spanish Constitution.
- September 2017: The month was dominated by the lead-up to the referendum on Catalan independence with the Law of the Referendum being passed on September 6th and the Spanish clampdown reaching its height on September 20th, when 14 members of the Catalan administration were arrested.
- September 2012: La Diada and the Resurgence of Catalan Independence There was a strong feeling in the air at the start of September 2012 that something was about to happen but very few people realised how much would change in Catalonia's relationship with the rest of Spain after La Diada on September 11th.
If you think there's been an oversight or you can provide more more detail about a particular event, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Please complete the form below. You can also upload photos and images, by the way.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!