Catalonia News Headlines for February 2020
Catalonia on verge of early elections
Esquerra Republicana's support for Sánchez's Spanish government and their refusal to support JxCat following the suspension of Catalan President Quim Torra as a member of the Catalan Parliament makes the calling of autonomic elections in Catalonia look very likely.
- Saturday February 1st: UK lowers flag & no longer forms part of EU The United Kingdom lowers its flag and no longer forms part of the EU as the British accept, completely divided, the disconnection from the continent 47 tears later.
- Sunday February 2nd: "Stability pact doesn't correspond to Spain's reality" Nadia Calviño, third vice president and Minister of Economic Affairs, says "The stability pact doesn't correspond to the reality of Spain" and the Government tackles the reduction of the deficit with Brussels "without putting economic growth and the creation of employment at risk".
- Monday February 3rd: Coronavirus epidemic threatens world economy The coronavirus epidemic threatens the world economy as China injects liqudity into the markets in order to give support to activity.
- Tuesday February 4th: King calls for dialogue & agreement as objectives The King calls for dialogue and agreement as the objectives for the legislature as the members of the coalition government applaud the monarch and the independentists remain absent.
- Wednesday February 5th: "To have dialogue with Generalitat, we need a budget" Aitor Esteban, spokesperson for PNV in Congress, says "For there to be dialogue with the Generalitat, there has to be a budget" and calls on ERC to "give oxygen" to the Government by supporting the accounts.
- Thursday February 6th: Mobile to limit company departures over coronavirus The Mobile tries to limit more company departures over the coronavirus as the Chinese firms and the Korean Samsung maintain their plans for the moment after LG announces its pulling out of the event.
- Friday February 7th: Sánchez & Torra to meet at dialogue table this month Sánchez and Torra arrange to meet at the dialogue table this month as the two presidents agree that they will lead the first meeting of the new negotiation forum and Moncloa offers improvements on self-government and the Catalan Government insists on a referendum.
- Saturday February 8th: Govt recognises BCN as scientific & cultural capital The Government recognises Barcelona as scientific and cultural capital as Sánchez talks of the necessity of "co-leadership" in Spain and together with Colau an agreement that contemplates additional investment.
- Sunday February 9th: ERC leads JxCat and independentism comes out stronger ERC leads JxCat and independentism comes out stronger as the republicans would win 37 seats, six more than Puigdemont and also count towards a left-wing majority and the PSC would be the second force in number of votes and the Catalunya Suma formula would have fewer seats than PP or Cs.
- Monday February 10th: 80% of Catalans want dialogue table to start 80% of Catalans urge the opening of the dialogue table as more than 70% believe that the negotiation between governments must include a solution for the independentist prisoners and only 30% demand a referendum as an objective to resolve the political crisis.
- Tuesday February 11th: Mobile stays firm despite company absences The Mobile stays firm despite the company absences as the cancellations due to the coronavirus have reached 10% of the conference space but the administrations and the GSMA refuse to postpone the event.
- Wednesday February 12th: Govt gives more margin with deficit & reduces growth The Government gives itself more margin with the deficit and reduces growth as Calviño elevates the budget discrepancy to 1.8% for this year and foresees the economy grow four points less than in 2019.
- Thursday February 13th: Mobile plans BCN 2021 after cancelling over virus The Mobile looks to 2021 in Barcelona after cancelling due to the virus as the European operators join the flood of absences and force the final GSMA in spite of the administrations' support and the organisation expected earnings of around 500 million.
- Friday February 14th: BCN working on Mobile 2021 which has uncertain future Barcelona is working on the Mobile 2021, which still has an uncertain future as the institutions promise a brilliant return, but the the China-US conflict casts its shadow over the event.
- Saturday February 15th: MWC boss Hoffman "Barcelona is our home" John Hoffman, GSMA-Mobile World Congress boss says "Barcelona is our home", praises the administrations and blames a "perfect storm" for the cancellation.
- Monday February 16th: Sánchez wants strong support for Catalonia agreement Sánchez wants overwhelming support for the agreement with Catalonia and hopes that the result of the dialogue table will receive similar political support to the 1979 Statute.
- Monday February 17th: China knew virus' gravity 15 days before going public China knew the seriousness of the virus 15 days before making it public as Xi Jinping tries to stop the criticism now confirming that he gave orders to contain the illness well before decreeing the confinement.
- Tuesday February 18th: Sánchez & Casado recover dialogue without results Sánchez and Casado recover dialogue but without results as the PP leader subjects the agreements with the Government to the president giving up the table with the independentists.
- Wednesday February 19th: Russia bans entry of Chinese due to coronavirus Russia bans the entrance of Chinese due to the coronavirus as the manager of the main hospital in Wuhan dies after being infected by Covid-19, which spreads mainly among the old and the ill.
- Thursday February 20th: Torra blocks starting the dialogue table Torra puts obstacles in the way of starting the dialogue table as Sánchez proposes the first meeting next Monday in Moncloa and ERC accepts but the president argues about the date and asks for a mediator.
- Friday February 21st: Treasury wants to harmonise succession & patrimony taxes The Treasury wants to harmonise the succession and patrimony taxes as the Government proposes avoiding competition between communities, focusing on Madrid, Andalucia or Murcia.
- Saturday February 22nd: Madrid against Sánchez over tax harmonisation Madrid comes out en masse against Sánchez over tax harmonisation as Díaz Ayuso accuses the Government of "giving the Social Security to the Basque Country" while wanting "to raise taxes in Madrid".
- Sunday February 23rd: WHO fears social turbulence over coronavirus The WHO fears social turbulence over coronavirus as the outbreak of Covid-19 in the north of Italy has already caused two deaths, while collective activities are closed and access to the affected zone is closed.
- Monday February 24th: Torra ignores his suspension and compromises ERC Torra ignores his suspensension and compromises ERC as the Supreme Court resolves that the president continues to be suspended as a member of Parliament until there is a firm sentence.
- Tuesday February 25th: Coronavirus's jump to Italy infects world stockmarkets Coronavirus's jump to Italy infects world stockmarkets, which go through a black day as investors flee from the riskiest sectors and WHO says "The world must prepare itself for a pandemic".
- Wednesday February 26th: Coronavirus comes to Barcelona & 25 people isolated Coronavirus arrives in Barcelona and obliges the isolation of 25 people as a woman that travelled to Italy and lives in Catalonia is the first case detected and another four new cases raise the number of positives to nine in Spain.
- Thursday February 27th: Table on Catalonia plans for long-term dialogue The table on Catalonia plans a dialogue in the long-term and agrees that there will be meetings every month and the presidents and vice presidents will join every six months as participants admit that the differences and detach the meetings from the budget.
- Friday February 28th: Economic uncertainty due to virus sinks stockmarkets The threat of an economic stop due to the virus sinks stockmarkets as the markets fall again and have their worst week since September 2011, Spain considers more severe measures while expecting the cases to shoot up.
- Saturday February 29th: Coronavirus provokes markets' worst week since 2010 Coronavirus provokes the worst week in the stockmarket since 2010 as the Ibex 35 loses 60,400 million of capitalisation after ceding 12% and the fall in Wall Street is equal to the one after the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers in 2008.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!