An Hispano-Suiza automobile receives Number Plate 1 in Barcelona on August 3rd 1907.
In 1898 a Spanish artillery captain, Emilio de la Cuadra, had started electric automobile production in Barcelona under the name of La Cuadra.
In Paris, De la Cuadra met the Swiss engineer Marc Birkigt (1878–1953) and hired him to work for the company in Spain.
La Cuadra built their first gasoline-powered engines from a Birkigt design.
At some point in 1902, the ownership changed hands to J. Castro and became Fábrica Hispano-Suiza de Automóviles (Spanish-Swiss Automobile Factory) but this company went bankrupt in December 1903.
Yet another restructuring took place in 1904, creating La Hispano-Suiza Fábrica de Automóviles, under Castro's direction, also based in Barcelona.
Four new engines were introduced in the next year and a half; a 3.8-litre and 7.4-litre four-cylinder and a pair of big six-cylinder engines were produced.