Catalonia News Headlines for July 2018
Torra and Sánchez Start To Work Together
In Quim Torra and Pedro Sánchez both Catalonia and Spain have new presidents, the main news issue in July 2018 in Catalonia revolves around how the relationship between the new leaders develops so it's very difficult to predict exactly what will happen.
I may add other newspapers as the project progresses but the page reflects many of my personal perceptions of what happened because, out of circumstance rather than choice, I read La Vanguardia every day as it is the newspaper available in the bar in Barcelona where I have breakfast.
- Sunday July 1st: Junqueras distances himself from Puigdemont line From prison the Republican leader Junqueras distances himself from the Puigdemont line, asks JxC for "more efficiency and less noise" and says he doesn't like the critics of ERC's unilateral way.
- Monday July 2nd: The fight for hegemony divides independentism The fight for hegemony divides independentism as there is a tough reply from the spokesman of JxCat to Junqueras reproach to Puigdemont and tensions increase as the municipal elections approach.
- Tuesday July 3rd: Transfer of pro-indy prisoners to Catalonia begins The transfer of pro-independence prisoners to Catalonia begins as Junqueras, Romeva and the Jordis are going to Lledoners; Forcadell and Bassa to Figueres and the other imprisoned ex-consellers are waiting for Judge Llarena.
- Wednesday July 4th: Hopes improve before the Sánchez and Torra meeting Hopes improve before the Sánchez and Torra meeting as the Government offers "no conditions" but rejects a referendum and the Generalitat activates bilateral commissions to cover sectorial topics.
- Wednesday July 5th: Union of leaders of 'Process' opens new scenario The Catalan Government leads the march for the prisoners as the union of the leaders of the 'Process' opens a new scenario and Torra separates the transfer from the meeting with Sánchez and calls for liberation
- Friday July 6th: Santamaría and Casado play for PP leadership Santamaría and Casado play for the leadership of PP as the general vice-secretary's recovery shows the malaise of the party Cospedal goes from running the party to being out of the fight.
- Saturday July 7th: Casado offers alliance to beat Santamaría Casado offers an alliance to beat Santamaría as the MP and Cospedal finalise a pact to prevail in the congress and the barons request a single list to avoid division.
- Sunday July 8th: Sánchez and Torra want the dialogue to continue Sánchez and Torra want the dialogue to continue and the socialist leader will set his agenda for Catalonia in motion whatever happens in Moncloa as the Generalitat want to take advantage of the meeting return the conflict to the political terrain.
- Tuesday July 10th: A path to dialogue opens A path to dialogue opens as Sánchez and Torra state their differences on self-determination and the prisoners but agree to see each other again in autumn in Barcelona and to create bilateral commissions as C's and PP attack what they consider a "concession" to separatism.
- Wednesday July 11th: Puigdemont and imprisoned MPs will not have a vote Puigdemont and imprisoned MPs will not have a vote as Llarena closes the hearing and suspends the ex-president and five leaders of the 'process' and the Independence movement rejects the judge's orders and will vote on it in Parliament.
- Thursday July 12th: Barcelona gains world's leading audiovisual fair Barcelona gains the world's leading audiovisual fair as La Fira agrees that the ISE will be in the Catalan capital from 2020. The salon which is held in Amsterdam attracts 80,000 professionals.
- Friday July 13th: Llarena considers giving up Puigdemont's extradition Llarena considers giving up the extradition of Puigdemont as Germany refuses to hand the ex-president over for rebellion and limits the crime to misappropriation and the Supreme Court sees the conditions for bringing the sovereignist leader to trial as unacceptable.
- Saturday July 14th: Worry in the Supreme Court over Sánchez' strategy Worry in the Supreme Court over Sánchez' strategy as the judges mistrust the reaction of the German decision on Puigdemont and the prisoners of the "process" question the rebellion and call for their release.
- Sunday July 15th: Sánchez & Torra try to keep way open for dialogue Sánchez and Torra try to keep the way open for dialogue. The presidents got on well and their teams see possibility to continue working together but the judicial and electoral calendar conditions the route map for the meeting.
- Monday July 16th: Bitter final sprint between Santamaría and Casado Bitter final sprint in the PP between Santamaría and Casado as the ex-vicepresident counts on the vote of communities with most delegates and Cospedal makes her support of the MP official and Feijóo reserves himself.
- Tuesday July 17th: Autonomies will have more margin for deficit in 2019 The Autonomies will have more margin for deficit in 2019 as the Treasury cedes two of the five tenths agreed with Brussels to the communities and the new objective might mean as much as 500 million more for Catalonia.
- Wednesday July 18th: Sánchez offers a vote on a constitutional proposals Sánchez offers a vote on a constitutional proposals as the president thinks it will be a long journey: Catalonia "has to make a decision" and reproaches to PP and Cs who address the conflict "in a boxing ring".
- Thursday July 19th: Division within JxCat and with ERC over Puigdemont Division within JxCat and with ERC over Puigdemont as the two partners in government clash over the indicted MPs and the voting difference also registers inside the ex-president's group.
- Friday July 20th: Llarena gives up trying Puigdemont Llarena gives up trying Puigdemont and rejects extradition only for embezzlement and removes the Euro warrant and the ex-president and the ex-consellers can move around Europe except Spain.
- Saturday July 21st: Rajoy leaves without naming a leader Rajoy leaves without naming a leader and with reproaches against Aznar. The ex-president avoids any gesture in favour of Santamaría and Casado in his farewell and he criticises his predecessor who promised loyalty.
- Sunday July 22nd: Puigdemont removes Pascal and takes control of PDECat Puigdemont removes Pascal and takes control of PDECat as the democrats' coordinator quits by refusing to subordinate the party to the Crida Nacional. David Bonvehí will be the new president of the organisation and Miriam Nogueras, the vice-president.
- Monday July 23rd: PDECat passes its change of direction with misgivings PDECat approves its change of direction with misgivings as the new leadership backed by Puigdemont receives a punishment vote and the party begins the transition in becoming the Crida Nacional.
- Tuesday July 24th: Puigdemont warns Sánchez support will be difficult Puigdemont warns Sánchez that he will make supporting him difficult as the ex-president takes control of the parliamentary group in Congress and Artadi argues that PDECat and ERC should "show their worth" in Madrid.
- Wednesday July 25th: Strike threat hovers over start of holiday season The threat of strikes hovers over the start of the holiday season as El Prat avoids the ground staff stoppage and is pending Ryanair and Barcelona taxis begin 48 hours without service today.
- Thursday July 26th: Barcelona taxi drivers increase their protests Barcelona taxi drivers increase their protests as incidents with Uber and Cabify drivers on the first of the strike and the sector warns that today's mobilisations will be more extreme.
- Friday July 27th: Tourism produces record employment creation Tourism produces record employment creation with 470,000 more jobs in the second trimester, 40% in hotel business, as Catalonia gains 57,200 jobs and leaves the unemployment level at 11.4%.
- Saturday July 28th: Sánchez's allies leave him alone in Congress Sánchez's allies leave him alone in Congress as Podemos, Esquerra and PDECat abstain on deficit objectives. The Government's agreement with the EU to increase spending overturned but PSOE obtains votes for the RTVE management.
- Sunday July 29th: The taxi protest extends across Spain The taxi protest extends across Spain as the sector takes Gran Via in Barcelona and decides to stay, Madrid, Seville and Valencia join and businesses fear its another blow against the city's reputation, with a badly connected airport.
- Monday July 30th: Taxis face decisive negotiation with Barcelona blocked Taxis face a decisive negotiation with Barcelona blocked as the sector threatens to increase the protest on the eve of today's meeting with the ministry and the Executive proposes transferring the management of Uber and Cabify to the communities.
If you think there's been an oversight or you can provide more more detail about a particular event, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Please complete the form below. You can also upload photos and images, by the way.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!