Catalonia News Headlines for June 2019
Time for Pacts to Govern Councils
Spanish Municipal Elections were held on May 26th so the month of June will be spent with parties reaching agreements. ERC were the largest party in Barcelona with 10 out of 41 but it seems that this is enough for him to become mayor.
I may add other newspapers as the project progresses because, out of circumstance rather than choice, I read La Vanguardia every day as it is the newspaper available in the bar in Barcelona where I have breakfast.
- Saturday June 1st: Foment asks Cat Govt to facilitate companies' return Foment asks the Catalan Government to facilitate the companies' return as the employers' association demands a promise from Torra to give up on unilaterality and Aragonès plans to return to dialogue with the Pedralbes declaration.
- Sunday June 2nd: Sánchez calms business people about tax Sánchez calms business people about tax as the socialist leader links tax policy with growth after Iglesias demanded more increases and avoids the debate over Catalonia and has centred the meeting of the Cercle de Sitges.
- Monday June 3rd: Sánchez opens cracks in Rivera's policy of vetoes Sánchez opens cracks in Rivera's policy of vetoes as PSOE celebrates that the orange territorial chiefs cross the red line and the socialists have almost given up the Community of Madrid for lost.
- Tuesday June 4th: Catalan government relieves the chief of the Mossos The Catalan government relieves the chief of the Mossos for someone more closely aligned as there is surprise in the corps for Equius's sacking who arrived ten months ago and Sallent is promoted to superintendent and high command in the same day.
- Wednesday June 5th: Prosecutor concludes that 1-O was violent coup d'etat The Prosecutor concludes that 1-O was a violent coup d'etat and raises the tone of its own definitive conclusions as the prosecutors consider the "process" an insurrection for independence and the State Lawyers believe that violence wasn't the plan and calls for sedition.
- Thursday June 6th: Sánchez tries to unblock his investiture with UPN Sánchez tries to unblock his investiture with UPN and to obtain support, the president stops a left-wing government in Navarre as the obligatory consultation of the PSN members complicates the operation.
- Friday June 7th: Sánchez only excludes independentism and Vox Sánchez only excludes independentism and Vox as PSOE includes towards getting the votes of UPN at the cost of not governing in Navarre and the majority is at 174 seat because the suspended prisoners won't renounce.
- Saturday June 8th: Colau gets support from bases to opt for mayor Sánchez only excludes independentism and Vox as PSOE includes towards getting the votes of UPN at the cost of not governing in Navarre and the majority is at 174 seat because the suspended prisoners won't renounce.
- Sunday June 9th: Corruption takes 60 billion in investment in Spain Corruption takes 60 billion in investment in Spain as the latest IMF report estimates that bad practices cost 1,200 billion euros, 1.25% of global GDP and the eradication of corrupt practices would elevate the country's wealth by 16% in fifteen years.
- Monday June 10th: Supreme Court leans toward keeping prison until 1-O sentence The Supreme Court inclines towards maintaining prison until the 1-O sentence and the defence lawyers will request freedom for the prisoners when the trial is over but the risk of escape and the Prosecutor's tough position weigh on the decision.
- Tuesday June 11th: Sánchez pressurises right & left with more elections Sánchez puts pressure on right and left with more elections as the PSOE leader rejects a coalition government and offers pacts to PP and Cs and Populars and Ciudadanos count out abstention in the investiture.
- Wednesday June 12th: Defence lawyers centre plea on denying rebellion The defence lawyers centre their plea on denying rebellion while accepting that there may have been disobedience and Forn's lawyer is the most explicit in admitting that the Constitutional Court was ignored.
- Thursday June 13th: 1-O accused call for political solution in final plea The accused in 1-O call for a political solution in their final plea as Junqueras requests that the problem returns to dialogue and negotiation and the accused say they never called for violence at any time. The trial is now ready for sentencing, which could be in September or October.
- Friday June 14th: Colau & Collboni seal alliance for Barcelona today Colau and Collboni seal their alliance for Barcelona today as the BComú leader asks party members to vote in favour of the agreement with PSC and there is maximum tension in Parliament between independentists and comuns.
- Saturday June 15th: Macron warns against Rivera getting close to Vox Macron warns against Rivera getting close to Vox as the Élysée rejects Cs' "ambiguities" regarding the far-right and PP and Cs govern Madrid City Council in coalition.
- Sunday June 16th: Colau renews in Barcelona Colau renews in Barcelona and will govern with PSC after achieving 21 votes in a tense and emotional plenary as the PP regains Madrid after a pact with Cs and Vox that covers six capitals.
- Monday June 17th: Colau & Collboni accelerate the government agreement Colau and Collboni accelerate the government agreement as the mayor and the socialist leader give each other three weeks for the agreement and the BComú and PSC members will be consulted for the ratification.
- Tuesday June 18th: Rivera's break with Valls puts more pressure on Cs Rivera's break with Valls puts more pressure on Ciudadanos as the vote in favour of Colau triggers an expected divorce and internal and external voices calling to invest Sánchez get worse.
- Wednesday June 19th: Trump attacks Europe and revives the trade war Trump attacks Europe and revives the trade war as the ECB's announcement that it is preparing measura to stimulate makes the Euro fall and the US President confirms that the EU want to export more.
- Thursday June 20th: Sánchez advances towards investiture with problems Sánchez advances with many problems towards the investiture as PSOE guarantees PNV's votes and opens the door to an abstention by Bildu and Socialists and nationalists pact the Navarrese Mesa del Parliament.
- Friday June 21st: Tough reproach from Macron to Rivera for his pacts Tough reproach from Macron to Rivera for his pacts as the leader of Cs that the Élysée for his alliances and Paris denies it and Sánchez loses the votes of CC after taking away their power in the Canaries.
- Saturday June 22nd: Supreme Court condemns "La Manada" for rape The Supreme Court condemns "La Manada" for rape and imposes the maximum sentence for "degrading treatment" of the victim as the definitive sentence establishes the doctrine of intimidation.
- Sunday June 23rd: Sánchez doesn't want Iglesias in the Government Sánchez doesn't want Iglesias in the Government as the socialists think about offering ministries to Unidas Podemos but leaving Iglesias out of the executive and PP and Ciudadanos will modulate their opposition depending on what PSOE does in Navarre.
- Monday June 24th: War of positions between PSOE and Podemos War of positions between PSOE and Podemos as the socialists demand a public response to the pact offer from Iglesias and the purple party tolerate the pressure and expect another meeting.
- Tuesday June 25th: Rivera tries to stop an internal rebellion in Cs Rivera tries to stop an internal rebellion in Cs as Roldán, economic spokesman, leaves the party and Nart, Euro MP, the executive and the Ciudadanos leader reacts and fills the vacant places with loyal members.
- Wednesday June 26th: Sánchez to go to investiture without prior agreement Sánchez willing to go to an investiture without prior agreements as Iglesias doesn't count out voting against after meeting the president and the socialists promise to convoke the Congress in July.
- Thursday June 27th: Sánchez pressurises Iglesias with election threat Sánchez pressurises Iglesias with the threat of elections, who tells La Vanguardia, "I won't follow the blades on a windmill" the president assures and Borrell gives up being an MEP and stays in the Government.
- Friday June 28th: Pressure on Iglesias for investiture intensifies The pressure on Iglesias for the investiture intensifies as the Government warns Podemos that there won't be another opportunity. Errejón accelerates his party in case there are elections as the JxCat prisoners support Sánchez as president, although MPs close to Puigdemont reject it.
- Saturday June 29th: Rivera challenges critics to start new party Rivera challenges his critics to start a new party as the Ciudadanos leader reappears and stages a closing of ranks in the leadership and he urges those who want the investiture of Sánchez to leave the party.
- Sunday June 30th: US and China stop their trade war US and China stop their trade war as Huawei can continue buying north American components and is the first major beneficiary of the truce and Trump removes the threat of new customs and confirms he's willing to negotiate.
If you think there's been an oversight or you can provide more more detail about a particular event, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Please complete the form below. You can also upload photos and images, by the way.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!