Saints Day of Les Mares de Déu Trobades or Found Madonnas
September 8th is the Saints Day of Les Mares de Déu Trobades or Found Madonnas, which as it is summer, is an excuse for Festa Majors around Catalonia and the Catalan-speaking countries.
According to legend the Mares de Déu Trobades, literally Found Madonnas, were figures of the Madonna Mary and Baby Jesus that had been hidden before the Muslim invasion in 711 and were subsequently, found after the Moors were expelled from what would eventually become Catalonia.
In truth, they are actually normally Romanesque polychrome sculptures, which were created from the 12th century onwards, and were often associated with some kind of miracle or revelation.
A typical example of a Mare de Déu Trobada is the black Mare de Déu de Montserrat, which is pictured below, but other celebrated ones are la Mare de Déu de Queralt, la Mare de Déu de Puigcerver, la Mare de Déu de la Roca and la Mare de Déu d'Urgell
Festes de Les Mares de Déu Trobades
September 8th is the Saints Day of Les Mares de Déu Trobades, which as it is still summer, is an excuse for Festa Majors around Catalonia and the Catalan-speaking countries.
Barcelona ProvinceAround Catalonia
- Festes del Tura in Olot (la Garrotxa)
- Festa Major de la Mare de Déu del Claustre in Solsona (el Solsonès)
- Festa major of Montblanc (la Conca de Barberà)
- Festes majors of Gandesa (la Terra Alta)
- Festa Major del Camí in Cambrils (el Baix Camp)
- Festa Major in les Borges del Camp (el Baix Camp)
- Festa major of Tremp (el Pallars Jussà)
- Festa major of Castell d'Aro-Platja d'Aro (el Baix Empordà)
- Festa major of Breda (la Selva)
Around the Catalan-speaking Countries
- Festa major of Maó (Menorca)
- Festes de la Mare de Déu de la Salut, Maria de la Salut (Mallorca)
- Festes de la Mare de Déu de Loreto in Mutxamel (l'Alacantí, Alicante Province)
- Festes patronals of Peniscola (el Baix Maestrat, Castellón Province)
- Festes de la Mare de Déu de L'Olivar in Alaquàs (l'Horta Oest, Valencia Province)
- Festes de la Mare de Déu de la Salut in Algemesí (la Ribera Alta, Valencia Province)
- Festes patronals de la Mare de Déu del Puig (l'Horta Nord, Valencia Province)
If you think there's been an oversight or you can provide more more detail about a particular event, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Please complete the form below. You can also upload photos and images, by the way.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!