Catalonia Headlines for May 2018
Time Running Out for Forming a Government
After four months of failures, the main news issue in May 2018 in Catalonia is still centred on how to invest a President of the Generalitat and form a government as time runs out soon and new elections will have to be called. This happened before in 2016 when Carles Puigdemont was invested instead of the presidential candidate, Artur Mas.
I may add other newspapers as the project progresses but the page reflects many of my personal perceptions of what happened because, out of circumstance rather than choice, I read La Vanguardia every day as it is the newspaper available in the bar in Barcelona where I have breakfast.
- Tuesday May 1st: Supreme Court tells Germany there was rebellion The Supreme Court reiterates to Germany that there was rebellion and misappropriation and sends its definitive report on 1-O to Schleswig-Holstein as Treasury denounced the Intervention of the Generalitat to the Public Prosecutor.
- Wednesday May 2nd: Women's struggle dominates May 1st marches The women's struggle dominates May 1st marches as Barcelona gathers 8,000 demonstrators according to the Civil Guard and CCOO and UGT unions want the limelight after the recent social protests and announces actions to increase salaries and pensions.
- Thursday May 3rd: ETA confirms disbandment after 60 years existence ETA confirms its disbandment and puts an end to 60 years of existence. The group recognising the "suffering" and dismantles all of its "structures" and the PNV is waiting for the definitive video sent to various TV channels.
- Friday May 4th: ETA ignores victims on historic disbandment day ETA ignores its victims on the historic day of its disbandment as a video by Josu Ternera, a veteran of the group, decrees the end of terror and Rajoy confirms there will be no impunity for the crimes.
- Saturday May 5th: Inviable investiture at a distance is passed An investiture at a distance which will be inviable is passed as the independence parties support a change in the law to be able to elect a president in his absence but the central government will appeal the reform in the Constitutional Court.
- Sunday May 6th: Puigdemont resists facilitating a new Government Puigdemont resists facilitating a new Government as JxCat proposes a not very viable investiture of the ex-president before May 14th again but the leader of Junts doesn't clarify whether he has an alternative that avoids elections.
- Monday May 7th: Puigdemont evaluates list of provisional presidents Puigdemont evaluates a shortlist of "provisional presidents" and in the list of candidates, they're considering Josep Costa, Quim Costa or a mayor as ERC warns that the strategy of JxCat runs the risk of elections.
- Tuesday May 8th: ERC calls on Puigdemont to agree the next steps ERC calls on Puigdemont to agree the next steps and ask JxCat for more prominence taking decisions and the Government will appeal the investiture at a distance in the Constitutional Court immediately.
- Wednesday May 9th: Trump provokes global crisis by breaking with Iran Trump provokes a global crisis by breaking with Iran as the US President ignores his allies and pulls his country out of the agreement. The break up could encourage the hardliners in the Iranian Regime.
- Thursday May 10th: Rajoy & Rivera declare war with Catalonia in background Rajoy and Rivera declare war with Catalonia in the background as the leader of Cs reproaches PP for being too bland with the independence movement and the president describes Ciudadanos as populists and praises PSOE.
- Friday May 11th: Puigdemont designates Torra as "interior" President Puigdemont designates activist Torra as "interior" President, who was fleeting leader of Òmnium, on leadership of the ANC and rejects any concessions to pragmatism. The ex-President confirms "provisional period" is beginning and that there will be a Council of the Republic.
- Saturday May 12th: Puigdemont agrees provisional mandate with Torra Puigdemont agrees a provisional mandate with Torra as the presidential candidate announces that he will start " a constituent process" and the CUP will decide tomorrow if they support the investiture with an abstention.
- Sunday May 13th: Torra offers dialogue but insists on Republic Torra offers dialogue but insists on the Republic but he is in the hands of the CUP who demand he overrides the law and Rajoy warns that if vulnerates the Constitution there will be an answer.
- Monday May 14th: CUP will make Torra president but demand breakup The CUP will make Torra president but demand break from Spain and don't guarantee governability as Barça loses its head and unbeaten run against Levante.
- Tuesday May 15th: Torra starts by meeting with Puigdemont in Berlin Torra starts his mandate by meeting with Puigdemont in Berlin. "We will invest Puigdemont" he insists right after being voted in by Parliament as ERC distances itself from the President's intention to "restore" three consellers.
- Wednesday May 16th: Rajoy & Torra set deadline for dialogue with doubts Rajoy and Torra set a deadline for dialogue with scepticism as the PP leader is prepared to deal with the recently invested president if he respects the law and the Catalan President demands that Moncloa lift the financial control over the Generalitat.
- Thursday May 17th: Belgium corrects TS & won't hand over ex-consellers Belgian court corrects the TS and won't hand over the ex-consellers rejecting Judge Llarena's Euro warrant due to formal errors. The Supreme Court is outraged and accuses the Belgian judiciary of lack of committment.
- Friday May 18th: Torra's investiture ceremony was almost a formality Torra emphasises his temporary status with a ceremony that was almost a formality and takes possession without citing the Constitution or the presence of the Spanish Government but the restoration of the ex-consellers Turull, Rull, Puig and Comín is up in the air.
- Saturday May 19th: Trump forced to accept Russiagate investigation Trump is forced to accept the Russiagate investigation and the Republican Administration entrusts the case to an independent prosecutor as Wall Street tries to stay calm in spite of the scandals.
- Sunday May 20th: "Torra is the most conservative and minority nationalism" In an interview with Ada Colau, Mayor of Barcelona says "Torra is the most conservative and minority nationalism" and calls for dialogue and hopes for a gesture from the State bring the prisoners closer to Catalonia.
- Monday May 21st: Rajoy blocks Catalan Govt with PSOE and Cs support Rajoy blocks the Catalan Government with PSOE and Cs support and the head of the Executive will the 155 and considers whether there will be imprisoned consellers while Puig and Comín say they will resign if they can't work from Brussels.
- Tuesday May 22nd: Rajoy keeps the 155 despite the budget vote Rajoy keeps the 155 despite the budget vote and asks Torra for a Catalan government "capable of talking seriously" as the PNV leaves its support for the accounts open until tomorrow.
- Wednesday May 23rd: German court rejects charges of rebellion & sedition The German court rejects the charges of rebellion and sedition as the judges decide not to extradite Puigdemont for the main crimes but it remains to be seen if the ex-president is handed over for misappropriation.
If you think there's been an oversight or you can provide more more detail about a particular event, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Please complete the form below. You can also upload photos and images, by the way.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!