Catalonia News Headlines for November 2019
Spanish General Elections on November 10th
The demonstrations and violence in Barcelona and Catalonia provoked by the prison sentences of the pro-independence leaders are bound to effect the Spanish General Election campaign, which begins at the start of November. The election itself is on November 10th so the events of the rest of the month will depend on who wins and whether or not a government can be formed.
I may add other newspapers as the project progresses because, out of circumstance rather than choice, I read La Vanguardia every day as it is the newspaper available in the bar in Barcelona where I have breakfast.
- Friday November 1st: Catalonia agitates debate in an express campaign Catalonia agitates the debate at the start of an express campaign and the parties use the Catalan conflict in their events but offer few solutions as the mobilisation in the street continues.
- Saturday November 1st: Sánchez & Casado turn campaign into head to head Sánchez and Casado turn the campaign into a head to head as the PSOE and PP candidates want to take the limelight from Rivera and Iglesias before the decisive television on Monday.
- Sunday November 3rd: Unease with Torra for subjecting economy to protests Business unease with Torra for subjecting the economy to the protests as the employers' association meets the president without getting an answer to their problems with worry about the effects of the riots on the Fira and the Mobile World Congress.
- Monday November 4th: Barcelona protects itself before 10-N Barcelona protects itself before 10-N with a big operation against the protests as the forces of order face a difficult week that starts with the royal visit and the number of Civil Guard and National Police officers is similar to 1-O.
- Tuesday November 5th: King warns that violence doesn't fit in Catalonia The King warns that violence and intolerance don't fit in Catalonia as Leonor hands out her first Princess of Girona awards in Barcelona and gives a speech in perfect Catalan and hundreds of people try to stop the guests from going in.
- Wednesday November 6th: US withdrawal sows doubt over climate agreement future The US withdrawal sows doubts over the future of the climate agreement as the EU assumes that it will have to be the leader in the absence of the world's first economy and the second emitter of noxious gases.
- Thursday November 7th: Sánchez clashes with prosecutors over Puigdemont handover Sánchez clashes with prosecutors over the handover of Puigdemont and the PSOE candidate insinuates that the public ministry follow government orders so that the ex-president is extradited.
- Friday November 8th: Vox's rise centres the end of the campaign The possibility of Vox shooting up centres the end of the campaign as the far right dominates the last messages, PSOE warns of its rise and PP and Cs accept its idea of making pro-independence parties illegal
- Saturday November 9th: Catalonia debate tenses the end of the campaign The debate on Catalonia tenses the end of the campaign as PSOE fights against polls that hurt it more than UP and Vox pulls PP and Cs towards its strong proposals against independentism.
- Sunday November 10th: Elections for the Unblocking Elections for the unblocking as today's early elections attempt to find a way out of the impossibility of forming a government, although the polls predict another draw between the parties on the left and right.
- Monday November 11th: Sánchez wins but a majority will be difficult Sánchez wins but will have more difficulties in configuring a majority as the weakened PSOE candidate promises to unblock the forming of a government on a day in which PP and Voc shoot up and Cs collapse.
- Tuesday November 12th: Rivera leaves politics and Cs face uncertain future Rivera leaves politics and Cs face an uncertain future as Arrimades and Garicano are possible candidates to lead the party after the electoral debacle.
- Wednesday November 13th: Sánchez & Iglesias pact first coalition in Spain Sánchez and Iglesias pact the first coalition in Spain as in less than 48 hours, PSOE and Unidas Podemos agree on a government that smooths the way towards the investiture in which the UP leader will be vice president.
- Thursday November 14th: ERC's demand for dialogue table complicates investiture ERC's demand for a dialogue table complicates the investiture as PSOE tries to neutralise the internal fears at a government with Podemos because the crisis in Catalonia and the socialists start contacts with PNV and today call the republicans.
- Friday November 15th: Sánchez reminds ERC that govt only offers dialogue Sánchez reminds ERC that the government only offers dialogue as the republicans don't advance in their first meeting with PSOE and refuse to support the president unless he abandons their "repressive ways".
- Saturday November 16th: Catalan Govt wants to reduce university fees by 30% The Catalan Government includes reducing university fees by 30% in the budget as Aragonès hopes to pass the budget in the coming months, for which he needs the abstention of the Comunes at least.
- Sunday November 17th: Sánchez keeps heavyweights & cedes social area to Iglesias Sánchez keeps his heavyweights and cedes the social area to Iglesias and if there is an investiture, PSOE will keep Calvo, Calviño or Montero in the cabinet and Iglesias, Montero or Diaz will enter for UP.
- Monday November 18th: PP between offering Sánchez pact & waiting for him to fail PP doubts between offering Sánchez a pact and waiting for him to fail as Casado stays silents, Feijóo wants a agreement between the PP and PSOE and Cs and others oppose it so they don't cede the opposition to Vox.
- Wednesday November 20th: Heavy sentence decade after PSOE Andalusia's fraud Heavy sentence a decade after PSOE Andalusia's fraud with six years of prison for Griñan and nine of suspension for Chaves for the ERE.
- Thursday November 21st: ERC pressurises Sánchez with vote over investiture ERC pressurises Sánchez with a consultation over the investiture as the Republican leadership will confirm its demand for multi-party table with a vote while waiting for a move from PSOE.
- Friday November 22nd: Moncloa sees ERC's dialogue table as viable Moncloa sees ERC's dialogue table as viable as Sánchez's team keeps the negotiation option open with ERC in order achieve an investiture in the middle of December and the proposal could be finalised after the consultations with party members.
- Saturday November 23rd: ERC warns PSOE that dialogue must be between govts ERC warns PSOE that the dialogue must be between governments as Esquerra specifies that it doesn't want a table between parties, but rather a negotiation between executives and republicans and socialists designate interlocutors to draw up a proposals.
- Sunday November 24th: Sánchez gets green light for coalition with Iglesias Sánchez gets the green light from PSOE for his coalition with Iglesias as the socialist base support the agreement with Unidas Podemos with 92% of the votes in a consultation with record participation.
- Monday November 25th: ERC wants meeting of govts before voting for investiture ERC wants a meeting of governments before voting for the investiture as the leadership, which expects support from the membership for its strategy today, considers a negotiating table essential for an abstention.
- Tuesday November 26th: Government and Council unite to have new budget Government and Council unite to have new budget as the Generalitat accepts the municipal tariff of 4 euros on the tourist tax in Barcelona and will look into financing nurseries.
- Wednesday November 27th: Independentists respond to TC warnings with gestures The independentists respond to the warnings of the Constitutional Court with gestures as JxCat, ERC and the CUP resort to rhetoric to avoid disobedience and don't reach an agreement on a declaration on the 1-O sentence.
- Thursday November 28th: PSOE saves digital decree before negotiating with ERC PSOE saves the digital decree with PP and Cs before negotiating with ERC as the rule to stop the "Catalan digital republic" is passed with Podemos' abstention and Calvo denies she will talk about self-determination and invites Esquerra to talk about about territorial organisation.
- Friday November 29th: PSOE and ERC explore the dialogue route between parties and institutions PSOE and ERC explore the dialogue route between parties and institutions as the republicans maintain the No to Sánchez but position themselves to tackle the "political conflict".
- Saturday November 30th: Terrorist alarm in Europe at start of Christmas Terrorist alarm in Europe at the start of Christmas with two dead and various injured in London by an attacker who was brought down by the police and a man stabs various people in a shopping centre in The Hague on full "Black Friday" for unknown reasons.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!