Catalonia Headlines for Friday October 13th 2017
PP and PSOE are confident that Puigdemont will make dialogue possible
October 12th is Spain National Day and was an opportunity for calls to Spanish unity across Spain but particularly in Catalonia, where Barcelona hosted the most multitudinous rallies in living memory. Throughout the day, both Partido Popular and PSOE leaders expressed their confidence that Puigdemont would back down and retract the Declaration of Independence.
La Vanguardia Headlines
The front page headlines in La Vanguardia the following day read:
- PP and PSOE are confident that Puigdemont will make dialogue possible
- The Spanish government hopes a gesture from the president opens the territorial commission
- Barcelona hosts the most multitudinous October 12th demonstration
- A Eurofighter plane crashes after participating in the display
- According to some sources, the pilot died as he didn't eject because he didn't want to crash on homes
- Barça accepts that this could be the toughest La Liga
- The team travels to Madrid in a tense atmosphere
- Washingtom reaffirms its support for a "strong and united" Spain
- USA, Canada and EU defend the constitutional framework
- Pressure from the ANC on Puigdemont to make the UDI effective
- The pro-independence organisation calls on the Catalan government to activate the law of disconnection
The photo caption reads "Record attendance on the parade: The King and Queen and their daughter presided over the military exhibition, which the National Police and Civil Guard participated in this year. The presidents of Catalonia, the Basque Country and Navarre didn't attend the event."
You can read more about what happened in Barcelona on my Two Months of Street Demonstrations in Catalonia: September to November 2017 page.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!