Catalonia Headlines for Monday October 16th 2017
Rajoy Rejects Ambiguous Response From Puigdemont
Catalonia is facing another precipice moment as the deadline for Catalan President Carles Puigdemont's ratification or retraction of last Tuesday's declaration of independence and its subsequent retraction finalises at 10 am this morning. It seems likely that he will make another euphemistic statement, which Mariano Rajoy will interpret as an excuse to invoke Article 155 of the Spanish Constitution and suspent the autonomous government of Catalonia. A new round of Catalan elections before Christmas seems the most likely consequence of this.
La Vanguardia Headlines
The front page headlines in La Vanguardia read:
- Rajoy Rejects Ambiguous Response From Puigdemont
- The Catalan president will insist on dialogue and Moncloa that he return to legality
- The consequences of the UDI situate elections as an alternative
- Investors fear that political instability ruins the stock market again
- Quoted companies that have moved head offices lose 5% since October 1st
- The leaders of ANC and Òmnium declare in the Audiencia Nacional
- Sànchez and Cuixart on a tightrope
- "El fuego invisible" by Javier Serra wins the Planeta prize
- Victory for Conservatives in Austria, who will govern with Ultras
If you think there's been an oversight or you can provide more more detail about a particular event, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Please complete the form below. You can also upload photos and images, by the way.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!