Catalonia Headlines for Wednesday October 18th 2017
Spain govt plans to run Catalan ministries from Madrid
As the triggering of Article 155 approaches, details are revealed of what it will involve while at the same time, Catalan President Carles Puigdemont is considering a UDI followed by constituent elections. There are mass demonstrations across Catalonia demanding the release of ANC and Òmnium leaders, Jordi Sànchez and Jordi Cuixart, including a massive candlelit vigil in Barcelona involving tens of thousands of people.
La Vanguardia Headlines
The front page headlines in La Vanguardia read:
- Spanish government plans to run Catalan ministries from Madrid
- The ministries will designate delegates under the control of a state authority
- The Senate will process Article 155 in 8 days in which time elections could be called
- Puigdemont looks at the idea of a UDI and constituent elections
- Tourist demand falls 15% since October 1st
- The sector estimates the losses could reach €1,200
- The independence movement demands the freedom of those detained
- Tens of thousands of demonstrators against the imprisonment of the leaders of the ANC and Òmnium while waiting for the big protest of Saturday
The photo caption reads "The March of the Candles: The demonstration in Barcelona partially occupied La Diagonal between Passeig de Gràcia and Plaça de Francesc Macià."
You can read more about what happened in Barcelona on my Two Months of Street Demonstrations in Catalonia: September to November 2017 page.
If you think there's been an oversight or you can provide more more detail about a particular event, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Please complete the form below. You can also upload photos and images, by the way.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!