Catalonia Headlines for Thursday October 19th 2017
Puigdemont warns that the UDI will become a reality if Article 155 is applied
Another key moment in the relationship between Catalonia and Spain approaches as the second deadline for Carles Puigdemont to retract last week's declaration of independence expires at 10 am this morning. It is unlikely that Puigdemont will retract and this will mean that the Spanish government will start the process invoking Article 155 of the Constitution. This in turn will provoke the Catalan pro-independence parties to formalise the declaration of independence and the process finally moves into completely unknown territory.
La Vanguardia Headlines
The front page headlines in La Vanguardia read:
- Puigdemont warns that the UDI will become a reality if Article 155 is applied
- In his answer to the second requirement, the president insists on the offer of dialogue
- He demands that Rajoy stops the "repression" referring to Sànchez and Cuixart
- The central Executive considers the message "unacceptable blackmail"
- The Spanish government is still expecting the president to announce elections
- Moncloa will send the Senate instructions about intervening in the autonomy
- Germany asks the Generalitat to respect the Constitution
- The Foreign Minister asks for "clarity" from the Catalan government
- Podemos obstructs the territorial reform commission
- PSOE's initiative runs up against Article 155 and Sànchez and Cuixart's imprisonment
- The political crisis threaten to subtract €13,400 million from the GDP in 2018
- The Treasury opens an account at the Bank of Spain for payments to Catalonia
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!