Catalonia Headlines for Monday October 2nd 2017
The Spanish Government Represses October 1st
After months of waiting the big day finally came and the referendum on Catalonia's independence from Spain went ahead on Sunday October 1st 2017. In most places people who wanted to were able to vote but in a large number of polling stations across Catalonia the Spanish National Police and Civil Guard attacked voters with a much greater level of violence than had been expected.
La Vanguardia Headlines
The front page headlines in La Vanguardia the following day read:
- The Government oppresses October 1st
- The charges by the police and civil guard cause 844 injured, two of them seriously
- The Mossos avoid clashes and base their actions on the judicial order
- Rajoy "We did what we had to do faced with an attack on the rule of law"
- ANC, Omnium, unions and employers' associations call a general strike for tomorrow (Tuesday October 2nd)
- Puigdemont will propose a UDI in Parliament in a few days
- "Catalonia has gained the right to be an independent state" says the president
If you think there's been an oversight or you can provide more more detail about a particular event, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Please complete the form below. You can also upload photos and images, by the way.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!