Catalonia News Headlines for October 2019
Supreme Court Sentence on 1-O Expected
The main events in October involve the attempted independence referendum in 2017. October 1st is the two-year anniversary and at some point in the month the Spanish Supreme Court will give sentence on the pro-independence ringleaders currently in jail.
I may add other newspapers as the project progresses because, out of circumstance rather than choice, I read La Vanguardia every day as it is the newspaper available in the bar in Barcelona where I have breakfast.
- Tuesday October 1st: Head of the Mossos resigns on eve of 1-O The head of the Mossos resigns on the eve of 1-O because, before the complicated days coming for the police, Andreu Martínez considers he has lost President Torra's confidence.
- Wednesday October 2nd: Independentism calls for disobedience before sentence Independentism calls for civil disobedience before the sentence as JxCat, ERC, CUP, Òmnium and ANC present unity on the second anniversary of 1-O and the Catalan Government promises "to advance towards the Catalan Republic without excuses".
- Wednesday October 2nd: Internal crisis in Constitutional Court over Catalonia Internal crisis in the Constitutional Court over appeals on Catalonia as president of the court reprimands magistrates in the plenary for lack of loyalty and there's tension over the sentence of the assault on Parliament in 2011 which the Supreme Court could amend.
- Friday October 4th: Commercial War reaches Spanish Agri-Food Sector The Commercial War reaches the Spanish Agri-Food Sector as the US increases the duties on the billion euros it imports annually of oil, wine, pork and cheese.
- Saturday October 5th: González & Rajoy argue for pacts to avoid blockage González and Rajoy argue for pacts to avoid the blockage - the two ex-presidents criticise the lack of agreements for governability as the ex-socialist leader calls for the reform of the Constitution and the ex-PP leader rejects it.
- Sunday October 6th: Rivera raises veto on Sánchez harder on independentism Rivera raises the veto on a Sánchez harder on independentism as the Orange leader presents ten reform proposals to find common ground with the Socialists.
- Monday October 7th: Casado recovers ex-ministers to strengthen move to centre Casado recovers Rajoy's ministers to strengthen his move to the centre as the ex-president of Congress Ana Pastor will be number two for Madrid and Elvira Rodríguez and Isabel García Tejerina are also included.
- Tuesday October 8th: Ciudadanos uses no-confidence vote against PSC Ciudadanos uses the no-confidence motion against PSC as Rivera's party doesn't manage to add the support of the socialists and Torra overcomes the formality without even intervening in the debate.
- Wednesday October 9th: Mossos protect against possible pressure from Torra The Mossos protect themselves against possible pressure from Torra as Conseller Buch guarantees that security and protest will be compatible and the heads of Interior in the Catalan and central governments strengthen the coordination.
- Thursday October 10th: Sánchez offers himself as guarantee of getting on Sánchez offers himself as the guarantee of getting on as the PSOE leader forgets the 155 in Barcelona and says he's the only one who can "rebuild bridges".
- Friday October 11th: Catalonia will tax 3.6 million cars for CO2 emissions Catalonia will tax 3.6 million cars for CO2 emissions as the new tax, expected in the Climate Change law, will start being paid next year and lorries will be exempt.
- Saturday October 12th: US and China pact a truce in their commercial war US and China pact a truce in their commercial war as Donald Trump announces "the first phase of a substantial agreement" and the EU demands that Washington negotiate to avoid an increase in customs.
- Sunday October 13th: Countdown to the sentence Countdown to the sentence as the prisoners analyse the scenarios to administer a sentence for sedition and JxCat and ERC will take the political reply to the Supreme Court decision to Parliament.
- Monday October 14th: 1-O sentence opens new stage for independentism The 1-O sentence open a new stage for independentism as the resolution that the Supreme Court judges will sign today will have an answer in the institutions, in the European courts and in the streets.
- Tuesday October 15th: Broad mobilisations against high sentences for "process" Broad mobilisations against the high sentences for the "process" as independentism comes massively out onto the streets and manages to block El Prat Airport and the court sustains that there was violence and condemns the leaders to between 9 and 13 years for sedition.
- Wednesday October 16th: Pitched Battle in Barcelona Pitched Battle in Barcelona as violent actions by radicals are repeated across Catalonia and provoke the Government to warn that they might act to guarantee peace.
- Thursday October 17th: Protest degenerates in 2nd night of fire & disturbances The protest degenerates in a second night of fire and disturbances as the radicals burn cars, hurl Molotov cocktails and throw acid at the Mossos and Sánchez calls for "serenity and level-headedness" in order not to give encouragement to the violent groups.
- Friday October 18th: Torra is left alone with his promise of a new referendum Torra is left alone with his promise of a new referendum and the president sows confusion and unease in his group and ERC as he promises that he wants to call another consultation in this legislature.
- Saturday October 19th: Mossos fear an increase in street violence The Mossos fear an increase in street violence as the clashes get worse in the fourth night of violence.
- Sunday October 20th: Sánchez won't talk to Torra unless he condemns violence Sánchez refuses to talk to Torra unless he condemns the violence as among the almost 600 injured in the altercations, a policeman is still in a very serious condition and City Council, Parliament and organisations form a common front against the violence.
- Sunday October 20th: Catalan crisis encourages Vox in run-up to 10-N The Catalan crisis encourages Vox in the run-up to 10-N as recent polls, taken during the Barcelona disturbances, take the far right party close to 50 seats and employers' associations and unions sign a combined communication that calls for "collective and personal political solutions".
- Tuesday October 22nd: Businessmen mobilise to call for exit to crisis Businessmen mobilise to call for an exit to the crisis as Foment tries to organise an event with PIMEC and the business world to demand an agreement between the parties.
- Wednesday October 23rd: Independentism feigns debate on self-determination The independentism feigns a debate over self-determination as JxCat, ERC and CUP agree on a text of minimums that doesn't manage to defend the law.
- Thursday October 24th: Torra puts Mossos under scrutiny leaving Buch defenceless Torra puts the Mossos under scrutiny and leaves Buch defenceless as the president irritates the Catalan police by keeping the Generalitat away from the judicial processes after the disturbances.
- Friday October 25th: Franco's exhumation ends 44 years of dictator cult The exhumation of Franco ends 44 years of cult to the dictator as the remains leave the mausoleum in a sober televised event and are buried in El Pardo and Sánchez celebrates the end of the "moral affront" while the rest of the parties see electoralism.
- Saturday October 26th: Parties call for mobilisation at gates of 10-N The parties call for mobilisation at the gates of 10-N as the demonstrations by independentists and constitutionalists open the final stretch to the elections.
- Sunday October 27th: "We couldn't let them take away control of Mossos" Miquel Buch says "We couldn't allow them to take away control of the Mossos" and defends the police's performance and asks that the commission of investigation doesn't become a "show".
- Monday October 28th: Constitutionalist demo brings truce to PSOE, PP & Cs The constitutionalist demonstration brings truce to PSOE, PP and Cs and around 80,000 people gathered on Passeig de Grácia in Barcelona against the "process" and to call for concord.
- Tuesday October 29th: EU extends Brexit by 3 months until UK is clear The EU extends Brexit by three months until the United Kingdom sees things clearly as Brussels gives London all the facilities to take a decision while Parliament refuses to give Johnson elections again.
- Wednesday October 30th: CIS gives an easy victory to PSOE CIS gives an easy victory to PSOE without the effect of the sentence as controversy surrounds Tezanos' poll again, whose result allows Sánchez to govern with Podemos or Cs and PP stays second while Rivera would drop to fourth position.
- Thursday October 31st: Sánchez warns Cat Govt not to underestimate State strength Sánchez warns the Catalan Government not to underestimate the strength of the State as Iceta forces PSOE to recover its commitment to federalism and plurinationality in the electoral programme.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!