Catalonia Headlines for Sunday October 22nd 2017
Rajoy announces the suspension of Catalan government and Puigdemont calls Parliament
The Catalan crisis stepped up a gear as Rajoy invoked Article 155, effectively suspending the Generalitat, and Puigdemont called Parliament to vote on the Declaration of Independence.
La Vanguardia Headlines
The front page headlines in La Vanguardia read:
- Rajoy announces the suspension of Catalan government and Puigdemont calls Parliament
- The activation of Article 155 will give all the functions of the Generalitat to the ministries
- The calling of elections will be in the hands of the Spanish president
- The intervention is announced for 6 months dependent on the return to "normality"
- The president considers it the worst attack since the decrees of Franco
- Editorial: President call elections
The photo caption reads "Against 155: The multitudinous demonstration in Barcelona to demand freedom for Jordi Sànchez and Jordi Cuixart turned into a protest against the intervention of the Generalitat."
You can read more about what happened in Barcelona on my Two Months of Street Demonstrations in Catalonia: September to November 2017 page.
If you think there's been an oversight or you can provide more more detail about a particular event, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Please complete the form below. You can also upload photos and images, by the way.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!