Catalonia Headlines for Friday October 27th 2017
Puigdemont insists on the UDI and heads towards an intervention
In the strangest day in Catalan politics, Puigdemont hints that elections will be called if 155 is withdrawn. The PP announce they will continue with intervention so Puigdemont retracts offer of elections and UDI seems likely today.
La Vanguardia Headlines
The front page headlines in La Vanguardia read:
- Puigdemont insists on the UDI and heads towards an intervention
- The president feigns elections and reverses decisions because he considers there are no guarantees of avoiding 155
- Junts pel Sí proposes beginning the constituent process in Parliament today by applying the October 1st decision
- The Senate approves measures to take control of the Generalitat but leaves margin to step back
- Editorial: A country adrift
- Santi Vila resigns faced with the declaration of independence
- The exit of the Business Minister aggravates the crisis of PDECat that was on the point of breaking up for a moment
The photo caption reads "Beginning and End of the Process: Artur Mas attended the speech at the Palau de la Generalitat yesterday of his successor, Carles Puigdemont, who announced that there won't be autonomous elections ad he would leave the responsibility of passing the declaration of independence to Parliament."
You can read more about what happened in Barcelona on my Two Months of Street Demonstrations in Catalonia: September to November 2017 page.
If you think there's been an oversight or you can provide more more detail about a particular event, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Please complete the form below. You can also upload photos and images, by the way.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!