Catalonia Headlines for Saturday October 28th 2017
Rajoy intervenes in the government to call elections on December 21st
In a completely surreal fake news front page, La Vanguardia leads with Spain's application of 155 and forthcoming elections rather than the declaration of independence.
La Vanguardia Headlines
The front page headlines in La Vanguardia read:
- Rajoy intervenes in the government to call elections on December 21st
- Central government removes Puigdemont and his ministers by applying Article 155
- The Spanish president dissolves the Catalan Parliament and decrees that the Catalans vote in Autonomous elections
- The Executive considers that this way constitutional normality is restored
- PDECAt and ERC debate whether they stand together or separately in the elections
- Thousands of people celebrate the proclamation in the street
- Editorial: The Catalans have their say
- Parliament declares independence but doesn't gain Europe's support
- Donald Tusk supports Rajoy, although he asks him not to use 'the argument of force'
The photo caption reads "Celebrating the UDI: The members of the Government and the deputies of the independence bloc came out onto the balcony of the Parliament to celebrate the declaration of independence, behind the president, the CUP parliamentarians with their fists raised."
You can read more about what happened in Barcelona on my Two Months of Street Demonstrations in Catalonia: September to November 2017 page.
If you think there's been an oversight or you can provide more more detail about a particular event, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Please complete the form below. You can also upload photos and images, by the way.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!