Catalonia Headlines for Tuesday October 3rd 2017
The European Union Calls for Dialogue, Allbeit Meekly
The images of Spanish police violence against Catalan voters shown around the world finally brought the EU to call for dialogue within the Spanish Constitution. Similar sentiments were echoed by PSOE leader Pedro Sánchez and the Barcelona Law Society. However, Albert Rivera, the leader of Ciudadanos, called for the application of Article 155 of the Spanish Constitution, which would mean the suspension of the autonomous government of Catalonia.
La Vanguardia Headlines
The front page headlines in La Vanguardia the following day read:
- The EU calls for dialogue over Catalonia for the first time
- Brussels reproaches the use of violence and asks for negotiation within the Constitution
- Puigdemont calls for international mediation but doesn't renounce the UDI
- Rajoy maintains unity with PSOE and Cs despite criticism
- Sánchez criticises him for the behaviour of the police and Rivera calls for the application of Article 155
- The Barcelona Law Society calls for an independent commission for dialogue
If you think there's been an oversight or you can provide more more detail about a particular event, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Please complete the form below. You can also upload photos and images, by the way.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!