Catalonia Headlines for Wednesday October 4th 2017
General Strike Against Police Violence
Tuesday was the day of the General Strike against police violence and in favour of independence and in my opinion was, in many ways, as important as the the referendum because it showed the peaceful resolve of the Catalan people. There were demonstrations in every town in Catalonia with 700,000 people on the streets of Barcelona alone. Significant that the often complicit La Vanguardia demoted the strike to to the bottom of the page.
La Vanguardia Headlines
The front page headlines in La Vanguardia the following day read:
- The King encourages everyone to defend ideas within the law
- Felipe VI reproaches the Catalan government for "inadmissible disloyalty" to the State
- He calls to ensure constitutional order and the framework of liberty
- The Spanish government seeks support from PSOE to halt independence
- The dialogue commission inspired by lawyers will be constituted today
- Universities, employers' association, unions and schools join the Barcelona lawyers' iniciative
- The judge asks for the plan applied on October 1st and an account of the incidents
- The Public Prosecutor supports the behaviour of the police and assures that public peace wasn't affected
- The protest against the charges paralyses a large part of the economic activity
- The stop was massive in the administration, transport and commerce but no so in industry
- The demonstrations fill Barcelona and squares all over Catalonia
The photo caption reads "Mobilisation Day: The demonstrations happened yesterday in Barcelona (in the photo, the one in the morning with a massive presence of students. There were also rallies against PP, C's and the National Police. "
You can read more about what happened on my Two Months of Street Demonstrations in Catalonia: September to November 2017 page.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!