Catalonia Headlines for Thursday October 5th 2017
Rumours of Economic Collapse Begin
By Wednesday October 4th, just three days after the referendum, the campaign of fear had begun in earnest and newspapers began to warn of imminent economic collapse. Meanwhile, the Chief of the Catalan police, the Mossos d'Esquadra, Josep Lluís Trapero, and the leaders of the pro-independence organisations, Jordi Sànchez for the Catalan National Assembly, and Jordi Cuixart for Òmnium Cultural, were called to appear before the Spanish high court, the Audiencia Nacional.
La Vanguardia Headlines
The front page headlines in La Vanguardia the following day read:
- The Catalan crisis sinks the stock market and makes the debt more expensive
- Investors punish Catalan banks due to the possible declaration of independence
- The IBEX loses 2.9%, the worst fall in a single day since Brexit
- The Cercle warns that a UDI would hit the economy hard
- The business forum describes the police charges on October 1st as "inexplicable and without justification"
- Dialogue initiatives proliferate in the face of a unilateral option
- The Church suggests a way out and the lawyers warn against "immediate decisions"
- The judge cites Trapero, Sànchez and Cuixart
- The police chief will explain the police plan of September 20th
- Puigdemont insists that there is time for mediation
- The president criticises the King for "for making the arguments and policies of Rajoy his own"
If you think there's been an oversight or you can provide more more detail about a particular event, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Please complete the form below. You can also upload photos and images, by the way.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!