Catalonia Headlines for Monday October 9th 2017
The No to independence comes out massively onto the streets
The massive pro-Unionist demonstrations brought hundreds of thousands of people out onto the streets of Barcelona in support of Catalonia remaining as part of Spain.
La Vanguardia Headlines
The front page headlines in La Vanguardia the following day read:
- The No to independence comes out massively onto the streets
- Hundreds of thousands of citizens demonstrate in the centre of Barcelona
- Vargas Llosa warns against nationalism that "causes havoc"
- Shouts of "we are Catalan and Spanish" and "prison" for Puigdemont
- Puigdemont maintains that he will apply "what the law of the referendum says"
- The president recalls that the UDI "is included" in the new norm
- Quebec: companies that never returned
- Fear of independence decimated Montreal's economy
The photo caption reads "A Human Flood: The demonstration for common sense started in Plaça d'Urquinaona and finished in front of the Estació de França, where the speeches were made. 350,000 people participated in the march according to the Guardia Urban and a million in the opinion of the organisers."
You can read more about what happened on my Two Months of Street Demonstrations in Catalonia: September to November 2017 page.
If you think there's been an oversight or you can provide more more detail about a particular event, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Please complete the form below. You can also upload photos and images, by the way.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!