Saints' Day of Santa Cecília, Patron Saint of Musicians
November 22nd is the Saints Day of Santa Cecíla, which despite the cold weather, is an excuse for Festa Majors and music festivals in Catalonia and the Catalan countries.
Santa Cecília is normally considered a Roman woman who was martyred in the 3rd century, although other researchers have suggested she may have been martyred in Sicily during the reign of Marcus Aurelius a century earlier.
More importantly, she is the patron saint of musicians because apparently she was still singing to God as she was being put to death by beheading.
Apart from the Virgin Mary, Santa Cecília is one of only seven women who has a mass celebrated in her name and she is patron saint of various towns in Catalonia, such as Molló, Montardit, Odèn and Santa Cecília de Boadella.
Festes de Santa Cecília
November 22nd is the Saints Day of Santa Cecíla, which despite the cold weather, is an excuse for Festa Majors in Catalonia and the Catalan countries.
- Festa Major de Torrentbò, Arenys de Munt (El Maresme)
- Festa Major of Molló (el Ripollès)
- Festa major of Terrades (l'Alt Empordà)
- Festa Major of Boadella, Aj. Boadella i Les Escaules (l'Alt Empordà)
- Festa major of Montardit-Aj. de Sort (el Pallars Sobirà)
- Festa de Santa Cecília in Odèn (el Solsonès)
- Festa Major of Sadernes Aj. de Sales de Llierca (Garrotxa)
As Santa Cecília is patron saint of musicians, there are also a lot of music festivals.
- Festa de Santa Cecília a Alcanar (el Montsià)
- Festa de Santa Cecília de la Banda Simfònica de Reus (el Baix Camp)
- Festa de Santa Cecília a Falset (el Priorat)
- Festa de Santa Cecília in Castelló (la Plana Alta)
- Festes de Santa Cecilia a Picassent (l'Horta Sud)
- Festa de Santa Cecília a Oliva (la Safor)
- Setmana de la Música a Onil (l'Alcoià)
- Festes de Santa Cecília d'Ador (la Safor)
- Setmana cultural de Santa Cecília a Pollença (Mallorca)
- Ofrena musical a Santa Maria del Camí (Mallorca)
If you think there's been an oversight or you can provide more more detail about a particular event, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Please complete the form below. You can also upload photos and images, by the way.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!