The rich suburb of Sarrià is a former separate town on the outskirts of Barcelona and is the city's main point of entry to the Collserola hills.
The name comes from Sirriano, first documented in 986, but the origins of the old municipality date back to the 13th century.
By the end of of the 15th century, the town was reasonably important with the area around the church forming the centre for a mainly rural population, which over time became a centre for craftsmen.
By the 17th century, Sarrià had begun to attract rich Barcelona merchants, who built second homes there and the town became a summer retreat.
Partly, due to the existence of the bourgeois colony, Sarrià was one of the first towns to be connected to Barcelona by rail and the Sarrià-Barcelona line was opened in 1858.
As a result, various businesses established premises in the town and it became an important centre for trade.
In 1897, when all Barcelona's other satellite town were incorporated into the city, economically powerful Sarrià resisted and didn't become part of Barcelona until 1921.
Today, despite some modern developments,
the centre around Mayor de Sarrià still has an air of country village
and the Church of Sant Vicenç de Sarrià on the main square remains the
focus for the local community.
There are some fine late 19th century buildings in the town including the Col·legi de Sant Ignasi - a Jesuit school established in 1892.
The town is large enough to consist of a number of neighbourhoods, such as Sarrià Vell, Santa Amèlia, Can Ponsic-Caputxins, Sagrat Cor-Can Caralleu and Can Pomaret-Peu del Funicular.
The rich neighbourhood of Pedralbes, which was once part of the town, is now part of Barcelona's Les Corts district.
As far as public transport is concerned, the town is served by the Sarrià and Reina Elisenda Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat stations.