Catalonia News Headlines for September 2018
A Month of Tension over Catalan Independence
With La Diada on September 11th and the anniversary of the referendum on October 1st, the main news issue in September 2018 in Catalonia is going to be Catalan independence. I expect confrontation and clampdowns from the Spanish government.
I may add other newspapers as the project progresses but the page reflects many of my personal perceptions of what happened because, out of circumstance rather than choice, I read La Vanguardia every day as it is the newspaper available in the bar in Barcelona where I have breakfast.
- Saturday September 1st: The EU wants to end time changes The EU wants to end time changes as 84% of Europeans consulted supports abolishing the twice yearly modification and countries will agree on whether they use summer or winter time.
- Sunday September 2nd: Govt will concentrate on Catalonia this autumn The Government will throw itself into Catalonia this autumn as the central Executive plans to have a great presence to counter the pro-independence narrative and in the agenda there is the Security Junta, the Council of Ministers and Sánchez's visit to the Palau.
- Monday September 3rd: Casado challenges Sánchez with a "Law of Concord" Casado challenges Sánchez with a "Law of Concord" as the PP leader criticises the socialists' focus on memory and the transition and Torra calls for "taking Franco out of the structures of the State".
- Tuesday September 4th: Torra finalises the route map he'll reveal today with ERC Torra finalises the route map he'll reveal today with ERC and the speech is the result of conversations with Puigdemont and the prisoners in which the president asks the Catalans to have "resilience and sacrifice".
- Wednesday September 5th: Torra calls for mobilisation but avoids disobedience Torra calls for mobilisation but avoids disobedience as the President calls for a "march for civil rights" against the sentence and insists on the referendum but avoids any threat of breaking with the State.
- Thursday September 6th: Sánchez insists on resolving Catalan crisis by dialogue Sánchez insists on resolving the Catalan crisis through dialogue and the President urges the Catalan government to talk about finances, laws and infrastructure as ERC subscribes to Torra's speech but the CUP and ANC react with contempt.
- Friday September 7th: Govt and Generalitat reduce tension over ribbons The Government and the Generalitat reduce tension over the ribbons as Marlaska and Torra coincide in defending the plurality of the public space and the Minister has confidence in the Mossos even though he doesn't say how they should act.
- Saturday September 8th: Doctors warn over decline in Catalan health system Doctors warn over the decline in the Catalan health system as some specialists go to other communities where they pay a better salary and the cuts in investments continue.
- Sunday September 9th: Health spending 27% less than before crisis Health spending is 27% less compared with before the crisis as Catalonia is at the end of the line of communities in recovery since the start of the cuts while in the State the investment is still 8,200 million euros less, half of the Generalitat.
- Monday September 10th: Sánchez sets horizon for his Govt in 2030 Sánchez sets the horizon for his Government in 2030 as the President asks for patience faced with the parliamentary minority situation and he promises to improve the autonomic finances immediately.
- Tuesday September 11th: Another multitudinous Diada will protest for prisoners Another multitudinous Diada will protest for the prisoners as Torra calls to "resist" and "make the Republic" in an event without C's, PSC and PP and the Supreme Court and Attorney General confirm that they won't allow themselves to be influenced.
- Wednesday September 12th: Human tide for the prisoners The independence movement stays in the game and mobilises a million followers, according to Local Police as PSOE and PDECat agree on a motion in Congress in favour of dialogue "within the law" and Borrell confirms that he would prefer the prisoners to be out on bail.
- Thursday September 13th: Masters War transfers pressure to Casado The Masters War transfers the pressure to Casado as the Government points at the PP leader after Montón's resignation and Rivera puts Sánchez's thesis in doubt, which was registered in the university.
- Friday September 14th: Sánchez stands up to C's and PP in the Masters war Sánchez stands up to C's and PP in the Masters war and the President publishes his thesis on Internet and rebuts the accusation of plagiarism and the Supreme Court asks the Attorney General to decide whether it should investigate Casado.
- Saturday September 15th: Human tide for the prisoners The independence movement stays in the game and mobilises a million followers, according to Local Police as PSOE and PDECat agree on a motion in Congress in favour of dialogue "within the law" and Borrell confirms that he would prefer the prisoners to be out on bail.
- Sunday September 16th: Forn "We have to create conditions for dialogue" Forn "We have to create conditions for dialogue". The ex-conseller laments the "error" they made for not "talking clearly" in a forthcoming book and considers that it's not a bad idea to "take the foot off the accelerator and stop to think".
- Monday September 17th: Supreme Court expects 1-O sentence after municipals The Supreme Court expects the 1-O sentence after the municipals as the appeals and the slowness of the case could delay the start of the trial until January and the court wants to avoid the verdict coinciding with the election campaign.
- Tuesday September 18th: Sánchez counterattacks by suppressing "aforamientos" Sánchez counterattacks by suppressing "aforamientos". The elimination of the privilege will be achieved through a change in the constitution in 60 days as the President is trying to take out the PP and recover the initiative.
- Wednesday September 19th: Sánchez's reform doesn't win support in Congress Sánchez's reform doesn't win support in Congress as all the opposition, except PP, want bigger changes in the "aforamientos" and PSOE accepts the difficulty of achieving a viable majority.
- Thursday September 20th: Catalan Govt will participate in debate over finance The Catalan Government will participate in the debate over finances as Economy will attend the commission meeting about the future model and Aragonès proposes that the debt with the Autonomic Liquidity Fund is restructured.
- Friday September 21st: EU only gives May a month to agree on Brexit The EU only gives May a month to agree on Brexit as European leaders demolish the British Prime Minister's plan and Macron says that it shows that you can't leave the Union without costs.
- Saturday September 22nd: Barcelona revolutionises the electoral candidacies Barcelona revolutionises the electoral candidacies as the Valls effect changes the lists, such as the bet on Ernest Maragall by ERC and Puigdemont's group takes advantage to push for pro-independence unity.
If you think there's been an oversight or you can provide more more detail about a particular event, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Please complete the form below. You can also upload photos and images, by the way.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!