Catalonia News Headlines for September 2019
La Diada and La Mercè 2019
The two main events in September are the Catalan Nation Day or La Diada on the 11th and the Barcelona's Main City Festival or La Mercè around the 24th. Both are under question for a variety of reasons.
I may add other newspapers as the project progresses because, out of circumstance rather than choice, I read La Vanguardia every day as it is the newspaper available in the bar in Barcelona where I have breakfast.
Sunday September 1st: Sánchez preps for elections still waiting for Iglesias Sánchez prepares for elections while waiting for an about face from Iglesias as Moncloa believes that "a cautious majority" will give them victory on 10-N and Torra is considering investing Puigdemont to answer the 1-O sentence.
- Monday September 2nd: PP ups pressure on Ciudadanos facing coming elections PP increases the pressure on Ciudadanos in the face of coming elections as Casado insists that Rivera's voters don't understand that the right is disunited and present himself is the leader that has reached agreements.
- Tuesday September 3rd: Judge accuses Aguirre of inventing PP illegal finances The judge accuses Aguirre of inventing the PP's illegal finances in Madrid as the lawsuit also accuses the ex-presidente Cifuentes and the party emphasises that Casado represents the "regeneration".
- Wednesday September 4th: Sánchez promises Iglesias posts and guarantees Sánchez promises Iglesias posts and guarantees as Unidas Podemos considers the 370 programme measures interesting.
- Thursday September 5th: Sánchez guarantees PNV & ERC will facilitate investiture Sánchez guarantees that PNV and ERC will facilitate the investiture as the PSOE leader increases the pressure on Unidas Podemos before starting the dialogue between the two parties today.
- Friday September 6th: Agreement to apply insecurity plan in 3 months Agreement to apply the insecurity plan in three months as the administrations promote police, judicial and social measures while robbery with intimidation or violence grew by 30% in Barcelona in the first quarter.
- Saturday September 7th: PSOE asks Podemos for written guarantees over Catalonia PSOE asks for written guarantees from Podemos over Catalonia as the socialists demand a promise on the process from the purple party even though Iglesias already offered not to disagree in public with the government position in June.
- Sunday September 8th: Sánchez pressures Iglesias to "take a step forward" Sánchez puts pressure on Iglesias and pushes him to "take a step forward" as the PSOE and PP leaders put the economy at the centre of a possible election campaign, relegating the Catalan debate.
- Monday September 9th: Casado insists on uniting Right despite Rivera's refusal Casado insists on uniting the Right despite Rivera's refusal as the Partido Popular leader warns that if he doesn't manage to form a coalition he will call for directly the suffrage of his party from Cs and Vox voters.
- Tuesday September 10th: Judges say 1-0 sentence must be respected Judges and prosecutors say the 1-0 sentence must be respected as Lesmes and Segarra vindicate the role of the judiciary against the attempt to break with the State.
- Wednesday September 11th: PSOE & Podemos blame each other for early elections PSOE and Podemos already blame each other for repeating elections as the two delegations meet for four hours and certify there are no advances and the socialists say that Sánchez and Iglesias will only meet to reach an agreement.
- Thursday September 12th: Pro-independence dress rehearsal pending sentence The Diada demonstration gathers together 600,000 according the Guardia Urbana, a lower figure than previous years as the pro-sovereignty organisations call for unity from the parties to revive the mobilisation as a reply to the Supreme Court's decision.
- Friday September 13th: ECB drops interest rates & asks govts to act The ECB drops interest rates and asks governments to act as Draghi reduces the growth forecast and announces new financial injections of 20 billion euros a month to avoid the recession.
- Saturday September 14th: Cold front devastates Levante coast with unheard of fury The cold front devastates the Levantine coast with unheard of fury as the storm overflows the River Segura causing five deaths and important material damage in Valencia, Alicante, Murcia and Almeria.
- Sunday September 15th: Sánchez & Iglesias into extra time for election threat Sánchez and Iglesias go into extra time for the election threat as the PSOE Government will use up all possibilities to avoid elections although the negotiation is in a dead end.
- Monday September 16th: PSOE considers alternative majorities after polls PSOE contemplates alternative majorities after the polls as Sánchez believes that he will come out stronger from early elections and his executive confident of a PP abstention.
- Tuesday September 17th: Sánchez asks Rivera for unconditional abstention Sánchez rushes and asks Rivera for an unconditional abstention as the PSOE leader rejects Ciudadanos' three premises to facilitate the investiture and arrives at his appointment with the King today without suport either from the right or left.
- Wednesday September 18th: Inefficiency of parties leads to early elections The last round of consultations with the King ends without a result, which leads to a date with the polls on November 10th as "I've tried by every means but they've made it impossible" says Sánchez faced with reproaches from all the leaders.
- Thursday September 19th: Sánchez opens campaign reproaching possible allies Sánchez opens the campaign with reproaches against possible allies as the PSOE leader qualifies Iglesias as dogmatic and Rivera as irresponsible and the clash between the President and Unidas Podemos complicates furure agreements.
- Friday September 20th: World to show lowest growth in a decade this year The world will show the lowest growth in a decade as the OECD joins the list of world organisms that predicts a strong deceleration in productive activity.
- Saturday September 21st: Mossos mobilise before "process" sentence The Mossos mobilise before the "process" sentence as rhe Catalan anti-riot police will be active from the 1-O and the officers will count on special material to keep public order.
- Sunday September 22nd: PSOE and PP improve their results at C's expense PSOE and PP improve their results at C's expense as the Socialists gain 11 more seats more than 28-A, the Partido Popular gain 19 and Rivera's party lose 16 and the left is only 5 seats from an absolute majority and just needs PNV.
- Monday September 23rd: Majority believe in dialogue to solve Catalan crisis The majority believe in dialogue to solve the Catalan crisis as 59% in Spain and 82% in Spain prefer the governments to talk and half of Spaniards oppose a pardon and justify a sentence.
- Tuesday September 24th: Prosecutor accuses 9 of preparing terror attacks The Prosecutor accuses nine independentists of preparing terror attacks as the Guardia Civil bases its accusation on phone monitoring and tracking whil sovereignist groups denounce criminalisation attempts.
- Wednesday September 25th: Govt gets support from Supreme Court to exhume Franco The Government gets support from Supreme Court to exhume Franco as the remains will be transferred as soon as possible from the Valley of the Fallen to El Pardo and the Dictator's family wants to appeal to the Constitutional Court and the Court of Human Rights.
- Thursday September 26th: Trump asked Ukraine to investigate rival Biden Trump asked Ukraine to investigate his rival Biden as the White House confirms the accusation of impeachment.
- Friday September 27th: Parliament legitimises disobedience in angry plenary Parliament legitimises disobedience in an angry plenary as JxCat, ERC and CUP reject the "anti-democratic" positions of the courts and the imprisonment of seven members of the CDR unleashes tension in the chamber.
- Saturday September 28th: Government avoids a rise in tension in Catalonia The Government avoids a rise in tension in Catalonia as Sánchez will appeal against the Parliament's resolutions but sees motives for 155 and the Executive will study whether the Bureau of the Catalan chamber breaks the law.
- Sunday September 29th: 1-O Anniversary - acid test before Supreme Court sentence The anniversary of 1-O, acid test before the Supreme Court sentence, inclined to condemn the leaders of the "process" for sedition although the final deliberations remain and the parties ask Torra to clarify whether the arrested CDR members told him of their plans via intermediaries.
- Monday September 30th: Sánchez warns he will act if Catalan Govt breaks law Sánchez warns the Catalan Government he will act firmly if they break the law and Ciudadanos announces a vote of no confidence in Torra who replies to the criticism over the CDR saying that you can't condemn "something that doesn't exist".
If you think there's been an oversight or you can provide more more detail about a particular event, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Please complete the form below. You can also upload photos and images, by the way.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!