Catalonia Headlines for Monday September 25th 2017
Merkel wins, but the ultras enter Parliament
The main news was Angela Merkel's election victory in Germany but the Catalan crisis continued simmering in the background with police and judiciary trying to block the referendum.
La Vanguardia Headlines
The front page headlines in La Vanguardia read:
- Merkel wins, but the ultras enter Parliament
- The Chancellor ratifies her term of office in spite of slipping 8 points and have to pact in order to govern
- The extremist AfD gets 13% and is the third party after the SPD
- Podemos, PDECat and PNV ask PSOE to distance itself from PP
- The declaration of Zaragoza urges Pedro Sánchez to leave the "authoritarian front" against October 1st
- De los Cobos calls the Mossos today
- Puigdemont affirms that the Catalan Government will consider a UDI even though there's no vote on October 1st
- The president continues saying that the referendum will go ahead despite the setbacks suffered after the police and judicial actions
The photo caption reads "Without a View of Tweety: Yesterday some tarpaulins covered the popular images, which were visible from the city, that decorated the ship Moby Dada anchored in Barcelona, which was housing the police officers sent to stop the holding of the referendum on October 1st. "
You can read more about what happened on my Two Months of Street Demonstrations in Catalonia: September to November 2017 page.
If you think there's been an oversight or you can provide more more detail about a particular event, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Please complete the form below. You can also upload photos and images, by the way.
Have Something To Say About This Topic?
Do you have a great information to add or an opinion to express about on this topic? Share it!